The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 from existing Methodist and Presbyterian congregations.
Built in 1978, the Nanaimo Ecumenical Centre is a cooperative venture between the United Church of Canada on Vancouver Island and the Roman Catholic Church of Vancouver Island. In the 1970's there was an idea of cooperation between the congregations in the area. Lantzville Roman Catholic Church and Lantzville United Church, Wellington Roman Catholic Church and Wellington United Church had a vision that by coming together and sharing their resources they would be better able to serve the local community. So in 1978 Trinity United Church (T.U.) and Trinity Catholic Church (T.C.) were created. Both congregations have their homes in the Nanaimo Ecumenical Centre. The congregations use the same facilities and Worship space. On special occasions T.U. and T.C. come together as one community, thus building the ecumenical vision.